Loaded Baked Potato Salad
From the Idaho Potato Commission
"This salad involves everything you would put on a loaded baked potato-sour cream, bacon, cheddar, chives, onion, butter-in a refreshing presentation. Potatoes are great vehicles for flavor, whether they're hot or cold!"
- Kenny Bowers
Kenny Bowers, Executive Chef Rockfish Seafood Grill Dallas
Yield: 2 quarts
* 4 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled
* 1 pound bacon, crisply cooked, and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (fat reserved, if desired)
* 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
* 1/2 cup chopped green onions
* 2 cups grated or shredded cheddar cheese
* 1 1/2 cups sour cream (regular or low-fat)
* 1 tablespoon black pepper
* 1 teaspoon salt
1. Cook whole potatoes in boiling, unsalted water until tender. Refrigerate until chilled, then chop into one-inch pieces.
2. Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl along with the remaining ingredients and thoroughly combine. Add some of the reserved bacon fat if desired.
3. Chill at least 2 hours before serving. Adjust the seasoning prior to serving.
Note: Any condiments or toppings typically added to a loaded baked potato may be used for this recipe.